Removing Barriers to Education for Girls in Thulipokhari, Nepal
A project of Soroptimist International of Truckee Meadows, Sierra Nevada Region, SIA
In partnership with the people of Thulipokhari, Nepal, SITM helped build, and now maintains, a dormitory for girls who previously had to walk two to four hours one way to reach classes at the Janata Sudarsham Multiple Campus.
Funds are raised through SITM’s semi-annual garage sales and through donations of members and others to provide scholarships that cover room and board and school tuition for the girls.
- In 2000, SITM explored the subject of female trafficking in Nepal. We learned the greatest deterrent to trafficking is for girls to receive an education. With the assistance of a Nepalese engineering student at the University of Nevada, Reno, SITM partnered with the citizens of Thulipokhari, Nepal,to build a dormitory for girls so they could attend school. SITM donated $13,800 U.S. for construction materials and villagers donated the land and labor. By August 2001, 20 girls received SITM scholarships to attend school with room and board – they were the first class to occupy the dormitory.
- In 2002, SITM provided solar electricity in the dormitory to replace kerosene – the first electricity in the region.
- In 2003 SITM started the Animal Assistance Program which later grew into the Micro Lending Program.
- In 2005 SITM purchased the first computers and installed a computer lab for girls living in the dormitory.
- Since 2002 over 650 girls have received help of some kind through SITM’s ongoing program. Many who have graduated hold jobs in government, as well the private sector. Those jobs include social workers, teachers, computer operators and business owners. Some girls have married and are able to raise better educated families with a focus on education for both sons and daughters.
- In addition to the existing Higher Secondary School program, a two year College Bachelor’s program has been added to further expand the opportunities for these girls.
Want to Help?
Annual sponsorships for the girls are $30 month/$300 year for dormitory room and board, plus school tuition. Additional, scholarships for girls needing tuition only is $15 month/$150 year.